Sunday, January 11, 2009

10,000 Steps

Starting today I will be wearing a pedometer to see how many steps I take a day. Now this week it is just the baseline so I am not supposed to do anything different, like walk more. UK PAWS program is doing this health thing at our school where teachers have their blood taken, told their bmi, weight, total body fat, and other information. They will come every couple of months to take this information from us. Today is the start of the walking club. At the end of the day I have to record the number of steps I took and the amount of time I was active (my pedometer tells me). Now a healthy person walks 10,000 steps a day which is 5 miles! I didn't think that was that many steps until I practiced wearing my pedometer Friday and Saturday.

Friday = 6,569 steps

Saturday = 6, 851 steps

I am 4,000 steps shy of my goal! Now on Friday I used the exercise bike and it didn't record peddling as steps. On Saturday I went to them gym and used the eliptical and it did record it then. On Saturday I didn't put the pedometer on until like 11 because I slept in until 10 so I am curious to see on Monday how many steps I walk when I get up at 5:10 and work all day.

I didn't think about wearing a pedometer on my pants until Friday night and I went out to dinner and the pedometer showed whith the shirt I had on. So instead of sucking it up... I took the pedometer off! I never thought about it interferring with my outfits. Another example: Next Saturday I am having a bridal shower and I am wearing a dress, which means nowhere to put my pedometer on. Another cathch to the UK PAWS program is starting next week you compete with other teams to see which team walks the most. My second grade teammates and I are on a team. The winner gets a prize and we want to win! So there is pressure to get my 10,000 steps and then some because I want to win!

1 comment:

Gayla said...

You can clip it ot your undies!!